Tuesday, January 8, 2008

O is for Oreo


Owen had his first taste of Oreo cookies today. I was preparing Dirt Cake this morning (going-away party at work). The main ingredient is cream filled chocolate sandwich cookies. Everybody's favorite cookie. Well, at least milk's favorite cookie. And maybe Owen's favorite cookie.

It started as a curiosity for him. Perched on the kitchen chair watching me drop the cookies into the food processor and grind them into a fine powder. "Doo-kie, yum." Then the fingers started poking into the bag of Oreos. Since it was morning I was trying to be the "good mom" and not feed my 18-month old cookies for breakfast. But then there was a piece that wouldn't break up so I just let him have that piece. "Dank you mama."

Well, as you can imagine that just wasn't enough for him. How much can one little Oreo fill up Owen's tummy? I reasoned with myself. I let him have another. Which he proceeded to twist apart, admire the creamy inside and promptly devour. After the cream was gone he sat down the chocolate wafers and then reached for the bag to grab another.

I know that people eat Oreos differently. Some dunk, some pull apart and eat the cream then the chocolate, some do as Owen did and eat the cream but leave the cookies and some do as I do and enjoy the delicious combination as it was meant to be eaten... all together. But how does an 18-month old know to pull the Oreo apart? This was his very first (but definitely not last) Oreo. Ever. Is the way you eat Oreos predetermined in your DNA? Ben pulls his Oreos apart. Is that one trait Ben can proudly chalk up to himself... "that's my boy!"

By the way, Owen did save room for another circular staple... Cheerios for breakfast!

No comments: