Friday, February 22, 2008

Whoop... There It Is

I've been sick. It started a few weeks ago with a sore throat and just not feeling great. I had headaches for several days in a row. It seemed I was getting better and then Ben got sick with a cold. Of course, he blamed me for infecting him like I always do, but his symptoms were different than mine. He had the common cold, but I wasn't exhibiting the nasal congestion and sneezing.

As Ben's cold subsided I started with a cough. It hit me on Saturday evening while I sat on the couch. I took in a breath and the hacking started. It's miserable. I am sure everyone around me is miserable. Tuesday morning as I was getting ready for work I had a coughing attack that nearly caused me to blackout. As I stood doubled over in the bathroom, I thought to myself, "I am going to fall over and hit my head on this cast iron tub and Emeline and Owen are going to be alone... I have to get to somewhere softer!". Since then I've had about a half dozen or so of these attacks.

I've gotten coughs like this before. In fact, I used to get a dry, hacking cough once a year. It would last a few weeks or a month then fade away. I've been fortunate the past few years and escaped the misery, but this year is back with a vengeance.

"Doctor" Reed (Jacki at work) has diagnosed me with whooping cough. After listening to me cough for about five minutes in the bathroom at work she told me about a news story she just saw on about the resurgence of whooping cough. Then she pulled up a website about whooping cough. I must say the symptoms and progression of my illness are exactly as described. If you'd like to hear what my poor family, friends, and workmates have been suffering through, listen to this. That's what a paroxysm (attack of coughing) sounds like. There really isn't anything to do for it once you have it. It just runs it's course.

To prevent future occurances, I could get a booster shot. Holden would just love that! Doctors recommend getting boosters every ten years for diphtheria, tetanus, and whooping cough. I am already on the fence about vaccines for my kids and since this would be optional for me, we'll have to see. Until then... whoopie!

No comments: