Thursday, February 12, 2009

5th Grade Field Trip: Freedom Train


Holden went on a field trip yesterday. They drove to Nashville to see the play Freedom Train at the Grand Ole Opry House. It was the story of Harriet Tubman and I think it was a real eye-opener for him. Reading about history just doesn't have the same effect on you as reliving it especially for him.

Ben and I love history. In fact, the TV is often on the History Channel, but Holden usually leaves the room then. So I have been searching for historically based films to share with him that will entertain and maybe spark some intrest in history, but have been having a hard time finding ones that are age appropriate. In general, movies that are made about history are about horrible things and are rated R. Of course, slavery, war, concentration camps, and poverty are horrible. So far the closest I've been able to get to a historically accurate kids' film is Kit Kitteridge and that's a not an easy sell to an 11-year old boy.

I am sure there are some out there. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Deanna said...

Well, it might be too long for Holden, but I've heard from a few people that that John Adams (Pres)series is pretty good. I guess he was really something else, in a not so nice way. If I hear of any thing for Holden, I'll let you know.