Monday, May 4, 2009

A Happy Haircut

Emeline finally got her wish this weekend and she got her hair cut in a bob. She's been asking since before she started Kindergarten this past August, but I wasn't ready for it. Yes, I'm one of those who likes long hair. I don't mind the extra hassle of brushing out the tangles in the morning or braiding it for a hot summer day. And Em has beautiful "Breck Girl" hair... flowing, full of body. Needless to say I wasn't thrilled with the idea. So I put her off...

"After school pictures", I'd say. That came and went.

"After winter", I'd reason, "you'll want that hair to keep you warm."

"After school is out for summer", yet another stall.

But my mom and Ben both were on my case to let her be and let her do it... it isn't a nose ring after all. Hair will grow out. It's getting warm and will soon be hot. Days at the pool are just around the corner and that means bleach blond streaks in her hair... better to get it cut now so we don't cut off all the highlights in a month or so.

Saturday was the day.

Before:

After:

Can you tell she loves it? Her whole personality has changed. She's even bouncier than before. And she's been plain silly and giggly since. I am happy that she loves it so much.

But I, on the other hand, had a lump in my throat the entire day. Ben says I get too emotionally involved in stuff like that. He's probably right, but at least I let her do it. I think that's a big part of parenting... letting your children do things that maybe you wouldn't do or want for them and letting them live and learn. Roots and wings. Maybe along the way mom will learn a thing or two.

It's actually not "easier" to fix. I haven't mastered the blowout yet. Getting it smooth and bobbed under like the stylist did. Her natural wave is working against me, but she doesn't care. She's glad it's short. And when Emeline's happy, we're all happy.

No comments: