Thursday, August 4, 2011

What's Cooking? Tacos!

I have made my own beef taco filling for years. Mostly because tacos are a simple go-to kinda dinner that I can make when there's nothing else planned. We always have shells (hard and soft), cheese, salsa, and sour cream - my minimum required ingredients for tacos. But since taco night usually isn't "planned" I didn't plan to buy a taco seasoning packet.

That's ok. My spice cabinet it stocked and I use my nose (and my trusty chili recipe as a guide) to mix and match seasonings to create my own filling...

But it's nothing to write home about.

And that disappoints me. I am not very inventive. But I can follow a recipe like nobody's business. I am willing to try any recipe once. And I am resourceful. Plus I love making food that you want to tell people about.

So one day I sat down at my computer determined to find a new taco filling recipe. The one that follows is all over the web known as America's Test Kitchen Beef Tacos, but I have tweaked it a bit for our tastes.

First, you'll need:

1 onion, minced
1 T vegetable oil
3 gloves garlic, minced
1 lb. ground beef

Cook your onion in a pan with the heated oil. After a few minutes, when your onions are getting soft - add the garlic. Be careful not to burn your garlic - that's not a good taste (or smell). I try to keep my garlic on top of the onions until I add the beef (now that's a good smell). The garlic just needs a minute in the pan before you add the beef. Break up the meat really well with a wooden spoon.

A note about the beef: I am cheap. I buy whatever is on sale... sometimes that's 90% lean, sometimes ground turkey, sometimes I go for the fatty 70/30. The original recipe calls for the extra lean and there is no step to drain your meat. I guess that wouldn't be an issue, but when I made this step-by-step as originally written and I had added all my goodies to my 70/30, I realized the meat needed to be drained. Bye-bye delicious flavor.

Now the flavor:

1 small can diced green chiles (no need to drain); jarred jalapenos, diced; or fresh jalapeno (or other hot pepper), diced - according to your taste
2 T chili powder
2 t paprika
1 t cumin (or more)
1 t coriander
1/2 t oregano
1/4 t cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes (or more)
salt

While your meat is draining, put your choice of peppers in the pan you cooked the meat it. Leave a little bit of the oil from the meat in the pan so your seasonings don't stick. Then add the rest of the seasonings. All of the seasonings are to your taste - use more or less as you see fit. I often toss in some celery salt and dried ground mustard too - about an 1/8 teaspoon each - an ode to my chili.

Next, return the drained meat to the pan and mix it all up then add:

1 small can of tomato sauce
2 t apple cider vinegar (or more)
1 t brown sugar - yes!
splash of Worcestershire sauce

Again, I diverted from the original recipe. I have never added the 1/2 cup of tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of chicken broth. I buy 8 oz cans of tomato sauce and I just can't see saving half of it for another use. It would end up the the garbage and that's just a waste! So I add the whole can and skip the broth. You could substitute salsa, Rotel, or even diced canned tomatoes with equally good results.

Let the meat mixture simmer on very low heat for about 10 minutes. Stirring occasionally.

Finally add some chopped cilantro - about half a bunch from the store. It makes the mixture so fresh tasting and pretty.

The vinegar and brown sugar just send this taco filling over the top. I don't know about "authentic" but this is Chloe's kitchen and I am not trying to impress anyone other than my family. It's the best we've have ever had and you can write momma about it.

No comments: