Thursday, September 25, 2008

This Is What's Wrong With Our Society... Well, One Thing

Surfing the internet on a caffeine fueled high (mental note... no Starbucks espresso after 7pm) I came across this ad cluttering up one of the pages I was visiting:

No offense to "Laura" or to anyone who's figure looks like "Laura's" after picture, but tell me exactly what is wrong with the before? She went from a woman with curves (hips & waist in proportion) to 10 year old boy? I realize that these images are in all probability not even the same person, but that's beside the point. It's the message that I take offense at.

That before is my goal picture! Yes, I do have weight loss goals, but they stem from wanting to avoid the Michelin man look when I bend over to pick up Owen. I want to be comfortable.

This country's obsession with super skinny is uncomfortable. When People magazine calls a size 0 "skinny" and a size 2 "curvy", there's a problem. When an actress eats a meal and suddenly has a tiny pooch and she's accused of being pregnant, there's a problem. When we go for years seeing airbrushed models and actresses on the pages of magazines and then a real photo turns up of them and people are shocked... disgusted even that their favorite star has :gasp: cellulite, there's a problem. When those same models and actresses stand up and say "leave me alone, I like who I am" and then go into hiding and lose 30 pounds, there's a problem.

We are the problem. So to all the "Before Laura's" out there (including me): start liking yourself. Today.

Whew! That Dennis Miller-style rant burned off some caffeine. I think I can sleep now.

No comments: