Sunday, November 11, 2007

Haircut Horror

A picture's worth a thousand words. So the saying goes. But what if you take a picture to a hairstylist hoping that it will convey the haircut you wish to get and the stylist doesn't speak picture?

That's what happened to me on Friday. I have been in desperate need of a trip to the salon for a while now, but my schedule hasn't worked with my usual hairstylist in Louisville. After much trial and error here in Clarksville to find someone decent, I keep going back to Sandy. Her skill and price just can't be beat. Plus I trust her completely. She's been cutting my hair since I was 15. She was with me when I had long, straight high school hair; been there through shag cuts and red dye; keeping me up to date with side swept bangs and highlights. But desperation drives people to do crazy things... like try yet another Clarksville hair salon.

But this time I felt pretty comfortable. I was going off a second and first hand recommendation. These girls have nice haircuts with pretty highlights. How bad could a haircut (based on a picture) be? Especially when I needed one so badly.

Well, here's the cut I wanted...

Yes, I know it's Jessica Simpson. Ignore that. Cute hair, right? On the longer side of medium; nice style. I've been growing my hair out since I had a bob last fall and was looking forward to keeping some length but updating the style. Here's what I got...



Short. Choppy. Poofy in the wrong places. Weird bangs. Did I mention short? I don't know what she was thinking. She cut way too many layers in my hair and they are much shorter than in the picture. She cut it shorter than the pic and it looks even shorter (and thinner) with all the crazy choppy layers in there. You know it's bad when your 10 year old son is giving you tips on how to "fix" it by getting another haircut. Holden's recommendation? Cut it even shorter so it's not so poofy on one side and not the other. Guess I see his point.

Kids do always tell the truth. Emeline probably said it best when immediately after the cut she wanted to compare my hair with the picture. After examining me and the photo she says, "Doesn't look the same at all."

In the process of looking for a hairstyle I found a great website with lots of great pictures of hair. Check it out before your next cut... if your stylist speaks picture! BeautifulHairstyles.com

No comments: