Sunday, November 4, 2007

Hand-Me-Downs

Let me just say, I love hand-me-downs. I love giving them. I love getting them. Our family couldn't get along without them. With three kids growing from year to year and sometimes several times throughout the year it would simply break the bank to outfit them in brand new clothes every growth spurt. Hand-me-downs allow my kids to not only have wardrobes with nice variety but they also allow us to have gas money for the van!

I love hand-me-downs for other reasons too. First of all, it's so amazing to be on the receiving end of the generosity of others. Like I said, I love giving hand-me-downs, but I will admit it: isn't always easy. I have a emotional attachment to my children's clothes (toys, blankets, books, etc.) so letting go of what feels like my memories takes some getting used to. For someone to pass down a box full of their memories to our family means so much. It truly is generous when they could just as easily take the things to consignment and make a little money for more new clothes!

Earlier this week, Holden's bus driver, Mrs. Leah sent him home with a bag of hand-me-downs for Owen. She goes above and beyond her required bus driving duties. That just made my day! This same week I uncovered a box of boy cousin clothes; a box that I'd previously thought was empty! Owen had only about two pair of jeans until I opened that box; now he has about 20!

This brings me to another reason I love hand-me-downs: sentiment. As I took the cousins' clothes out of the box, I took a stroll down memory lane. Remembering when Parker wore this outfit... or when I bought those pants for Wyatt's baby shower... and even reminiscing over a few things Holden wore back in the day. It brings me joy too when I see other kids wearing things that are tied so closely to the experiences we've shared. They become a walking photo album.

So keep 'em coming... I will too!

Owen's stack of passed-down clothes towers over him. He's stylin' now...


No comments: