Friday, November 30, 2007

Mission Accomplished!

Things have been pretty crazy since I took O-boy to the doctor two weeks ago. I had early deadline at work for Thanksgiving and had to work on a Friday. That always throws my days of the week off. Then, of course, Holden was off for Thanksgiving Break and Granny was down for a nice long visit. The house was full and chaotic and loud! But for a change, we accomplished something around the house while she was here!

Ben and I have been putting off organizing our master closet for over a year now. It seemed too difficult to hang the shelving ourselves, too overwhelming to choose the design ourselves and too expensive for our tight budget. But after months of mess I absolutely could not take it one more day and no fear of the unknown, no indecisiveness, no amount of money was going to keep me from the peace of mind an organized closet would bring me. We could procrastinate no more!

I have come to accept a good degree less than what my dreams were. This isn't as bad as it sounds because as I have found we can be just as happy with a little less. For example, I used to dream of owning a nice, new SUV. A big one for at least seven passengers like an Armada, Sequoia or LandCruiser. When Emeline came along I held onto that dream. Then Owen came along and I saw the need for a van, but a new one. Time flies and so does the money. So I downgraded my dream to something more realistic: a used van. We ended up with a 2000 Toyota Sienna that was much nicer than we imagined we could find, but no where near that initial dream of a brand new Armada. And you know what? I wouldn't want anything else.

So this is what I did with the closet. I downgraded my dream to something we could manage to install ourselves and afford. It's simple, but I can't imagine it being any more perfect. As usual, we wondered what took us so long. It wasn't very difficult at all and would have taken much less time to complete if Ben didn't have to keep checking the UK/UT game score!

Here's the finished product. We are pretty proud!

No comments: